Sunday, April 22, 2012

Thoughts on Volunteering

As a Volunteer Coordinator, it's my job to think about creating volunteer opportunities and a great environment for volunteers. In my private life, I also volunteer at a variety of organizations. Since I have the background of coordinating volunteers, I often have to keep myself quiet when I volunteer so as not to seem critical. I'm there to help with a project, not to tell people how to run the show. On the other hand, it might be better to tell an organization how they could have done things that would help inspire volunteers and in turn improve the project they're working on. I know it's hard to take constructive criticism as I've been on the receiving end and don't always take it well (something I'm working on).


I've decided to offer a few thoughts on my volunteering experiences. These ideas have influenced how I run my volunteer program and I believe that having been a volunteer has made me better equipped to run a program. In advising anyone who is interested in becoming a Volunteer Coordinator, be a volunteer first.


Make it Easy: This might be the hardest idea on my list. Personally, I run a volunteer program that requires 3 1/2 months of training. However, I try to simplify it by providing a schedule, keeping in contact with trainees and making myself available as often as possible. At big events, I make sure to greet volunteers and direct them to their stations. When beginning a new task, I provide exact instructions.


Give a Reason: Volunteers are likely there for a reason - they believe in your cause, want to get out of the house, want to make new friends. That list goes on and on. But you can get so much more out of a volunteer opportunity when the organization provides information on why what you're doing is important. Sometimes you need volunteers to send out mailings. Encourage them to read the mailings to find out what it's all about. Tell them why what they're doing is important.


Give Feedback: Inform your volunteers of how what they did helped your mission. What kind of impact they made. Let them know that you appreciate their time. There are many ways to do this and there's so many blog posts and articles out there to get inspired


I hope this information helps you to craft a great program or to recognize all that volunteers do!


No comments:

Post a Comment