Sunday, December 11, 2011

Appealing to New Audiences

Yesterday, I visited the Oklahoma History Center in Oklahoma City. The facility itself is simply amazing and the exhibits are all very well done. I was with a friend to visit a specific exhibition on dresses of the 20th century worn by Oklahomans. Unfortunately, the museum does seem limited on special exhibition space as this exhibition was wedged between another exhibition on Pearl Harbor and an exhibit on sod houses. 

However, I want to focus on their exhibition space on entertainment in Oklahoma. Like much of their other exhibitions, this area had quite a bit of information all squished together without much of an over-arching story. Yet, I was intrigued that what seemed to be a typical buttoned-up history museum, had embraced an exhibition that many historians feel isn't worthy of museums. 

Photo by me at the exhibition.

The exhibition itself covered everything from comics to movies. My friend and I really enjoyed the exhibition, but on top of that, I think it appeals to a wide variety of audiences. In the section on film in Oklahoma, I know my grandmother would have loved to watch a few clips from the westerns. My brother and my boyfriend would have loved the section on comics, which talked about illustrators and authors from Oklahoma. Many age groups are fascinated by comics, whether for the memories they bring or the enjoyment they currently give to readers.



Can you see me? I'm Wonder Woman!

I was deeply impressed by this exhibition, but I was unable to find any corresponding educational programming with it. In fact, the History Center seems to lack very many public programs in general. There were a few on their website and the staff at the ticket counter couldn't think of any other public programs for the next year. I found that very disappointing since I could see so many opportunities, not only for the entertainment exhibition, but also for so many of their exhibitions as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment