Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Using Grantwriting Principles in Program Planning, Part 1

One of my primary interests in museums is in museum education, however I have also explored an essential part of running a museum - development. Museums can't function without money and often that money comes from grants. Sometime in your museum career, you will at least help write a grant, if not write it on your own.

In my studies of grantwriting, I was amazed at how easy it was to plan programs based on the basic principles of grantwriting. When writing a grant, foundations and funders will often ask for your purpose, goals, objectives, methods and evaluations. These are some of the basic principles of planning a program, though we often don't write our thoughts out. Recently, I have taken to writing out my purpose, goals, objectives, methods and evaluations to present to my boss before implementing my ideas. I've found it to be a great way to fully flesh out my intentions, have every base covered and be able to show why it will work.


In addition to having your program fully fleshed out and ready for presentation to a superior or committee at your museum, you will also be prepared to take that information and write a grant. Not only will you have a great program, but you might also be able to get funding for it.

Since the process has been working so well for me, I wanted to share the steps in case the process will work for you. I will provide information about the purpose in this post along with an example of how I use it for one of my current projects.

Purpose

The purpose is the broad outcome of your program and is based entirely on need. It is an essential part of the needs statement in a grant. The purpose is the "why." Why are you planning this program? Why is this program important? It is also broad and covers all aspects. For example: The purpose of this school program is to educate students on natural history.

My current project is developing an internship program. This is what I prepared for the purpose of that program: The purpose of the internship program is to nurture future museum professionals. That statement is broad and covers all the aspects of the program.


Sort of like the "big idea" for a museum exhibit, the purpose is your guiding light throughout writing your program. If you ever get stuck trying to create your goals, objectives, methods or evaluations later on, you can look back to the purpose for inspiration. 




In my next post, I will talk about goals and objectives.


Suggested reading: 


The Complete Book of Grantwriting by Nancy Burke Smith and E. Gabriel Works







No comments:

Post a Comment