Tuesday, September 24, 2013

LeaderMOOC: So Why Would Anyone Want to Be Led By You?

One of the MOOCs (massive open online courses) I'm enrolled in right now is LeaderMOOC on canvas.net. Canvas offers some pretty excellent courses, anything from Sustainable Energy Innovation to Society, Science, Survival: Lesson's from AMC's The Walking Dead. I highly recommend checking them out in addition to sites like coursera.org or edx.org.

In LeaderMOOC, we're learning about ourselves as leaders. Rather than giving us a mold that you're supposed to somehow fit into, LeaderMOOC has us examine ourselves. Each lesson focuses on becoming self-aware, which in turn, will make us understand how we can lead. 

So Why Would Anyone Want to Be Led By You?
The first assignment was to answer the question: So why would anyone want to be led by you? A bit of a heavy question to start with, but after a few videos on collaborative leadership, I felt comfortable answering. My answer below:


I thought a lot about my own leadership style within an organization where I am the president and final decision-maker.
You would want to be led by me because:
  1. I think about the whole process/system rather than just the end result, considering your time, my time and the impact it will make on our organization.
  2. I delegate with meaningful tasks. Having been an intern doing mostly data entry, I think about the types of assignments I would want or would be useful to your progress and what needs to be done.
  3. I make informed decisions based on research and discussions with people involved in the process. I make it a point to hear many voices, including dissenting ideas. 
I felt really comfortable with this answer and thought it conveyed my ideas well. The first peer-reviewer said: "Carolyn, It is apparent that you have the ability to hold both a micro and macro view which is very unique and a great quality to have in a leader."

I have to say I was flattered by this comment, mostly because that's what I hope to achieve through my leadership style. Having been the lowest in an organization and now the highest in albeit a small organization, I hope that I've learned to see big picture and details.

Unfortunately, the second reviewer was not as kind: Based on your response to #2-are your decisions about what to delegate based on what you think others need, or are you actively engaging them in the process and finding what they really/want need?

I agree this was a valid question as I did not make that clear in my response. I think I was thinking a lot more of myself in that "follower" position rather than as the "leader." The change of perspectives is confusing. However, I'm not sure that validated a 0 on whether the reviewer would want to be led by me. Particularly since there's not much constructive criticism on why this person wouldn't want to be led by me. Perhaps I just don't take criticism well. Something to work on during this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment