Saturday, October 5, 2013

LeaderMOOC: Week 3 Influencing

As I'm going through this MOOC, I'll be using my blog as a place to turn in my assignments. Week 3 is all about influencing. The most fun for me was a cool workbook they gave out to us to find out more about our networks - I shared it with a coworker who thought it was super fun. I also enjoyed looking at my LinkedIn Map, which showed how my connections are connected. The assignment for Week 3 is: Think beyond the questions you replied to in the discussion forums. Consider why influencing matters to you personally, and what personal goal you would like to achieve as a result of this week’s discovery.

Here is my response:

1. My take-away from learning about my own personal network is it is currently very diverse, but I need to improve my network in some key areas. Much of my network has come from geographic locations or jobs. If I'm no longer in that geographic location, it's unlikely I'll need to reach out them for work in the near future. I'll stay in touch with those folks, but I need to expand my network into areas where I see my future headed. For example, I should join some women's groups which will have folks of similar interests. I am also interested in online learning, so I'll need to reach out to folks who might be involved in that field or have skills I want to develop.
2. My one simple goal for using influence more effectively is to broaden my leadership styles. Currently I use rationalizing and negotiating on a frequent basis. I probably use rationalizing because I enjoy working with data and understanding why things are based on actual evidence. Negotiating comes naturally to me as I'm a bit of a peacemaker - wanting everyone to be happy, which, depending on the situation can be good or bad. I'd like to experiment with inspiring as I'm in the nonprofit field and many folks use inspiring influence to make a point. I have a friend and colleague who is incredibly talented at bridging and I'd like to learn from her. Asserting will definitely be the most difficult for me, being that I like everyone to be happy. However, I think some of my ideas are worth asserting!

2 comments:

  1. "Asserting will definitely be the most difficult for me, being that I like everyone to be happy." You're not the only one! :) Great response to question #2--resonates with me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your feedback! I'll be updating my progress here for sure. Do you have any tips?

    ReplyDelete